This news article was published on December 22, 2011.
If you fed your baby Enfamil powdered formula, you should keep your eyes out for any signs of sickness.
Avery Cornett, a 10-day old baby from Missouri, has died from a deadly cronobacter infection after his parents fed him Enfamil Newborn. The parents bought the powdered baby formula from their local Wal-Mart store.
In response to the tragic death of this baby, Wal-Mart is in the process of voluntarily removing Enfamil Newborn formula (sold in 12.5 ounce cans – with the lot number of ZP1K7G) from over 3,000 stores nationwide.
The U.S. government has not ordered a recall of Enfamil, and according to various news outlets, the manufacturer said tests showed that this batch of infant formula was negative for the bacteria in question (cronobacter) before it was shipped. More tests are underway, but until additional tests indicate that Enfamil Newborn is safe, Wal-Mart is taking the precautionary step of keeping it off shelves.