Summer Infant Baby Monitors Recalled after Two Deaths

by DP Nguyen

in In The News

Here’s another product recall you need to know about. Summer Infant, Inc. is voluntarily recalling 1.7 million video baby monitors with electric cords in order to provide new product labels and instructions. When placed too close to the crib, the electric cords of the recalled video baby monitors pose a strangulation hazard to babies and toddlers.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that they have received reports of two babies who strangled to death on electric cords that were placed near the crib.

In March 2010, a 10-month-old little girl from Washington, D.C. was strangled in her crib by an electric cord of a Summer Infant video monitor. Her parents had placed the monitor camera on top of the crib rail.

The second strangulation death occurred in November 2010 and involved a six-month-old little boy from Conway, South Carolina. He died in the same manner as the little girl, but the baby monitor had been placed on the changing table that was attached to his crib.

The CPSC press release also mentioned a 20-month-old boy from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania who nearly strangled himself on an electric cord. The Summer Infant monitor camera was mounted on the wall, but somehow, the toddler was able to reach the cord. He was found in his crib with the camera cord wrapped around his neck. Fortunately, he was freed in the nick of time and survived.

Summer Infant Baby Monitors Recalled after Two DeathsSummer Infant Baby Monitors Recalled after Two Deaths

The Summer Infant baby monitors were sold between January 2003 and February 2011. Over 40 different models are being recalled – including handheld, digital, and color video monitors. All the baby video monitors recalled had a camera, which is placed in baby’s room, and a hand-held device that allowed parents to monitor the baby around the house. The baby monitors were sold for $60 to $300.

The Summer Infant video baby monitors were manufactured in China. They were sold at major retailers, juvenile product stores, and mass merchandisers all over the United States.

If you own a recalled Infant baby video monitor, the CPSC and Summer Infant recommends that you check the location of the video monitors. Make sure that the electric cords are out of arm’s reach of the baby or infant. If you want a new permanent electric cord warning label with the strangulation risk (and revised instructions on how to mount the camera and keep the cords away from baby), you should contact Summer Infant.

You can call them Monday through Friday (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time) at (800) 426-8627, or visit their website:  www.summerinfant.com/Home/Product-Recall.aspx.

The CPSC reports that there have been seven strangulation deaths due to baby monitor cords since 2004. For more information on how to protect your baby from strangulation due to baby monitor, read the CPSC Safety Alert – Children Can Strangle in Baby Monitor Cords.

To read the CPSC press release on this recent Summer Infant Recall, read “Two Strangulation Deaths Prompt Summer Infant to Recall Video Baby Monitors with Cords; Firm to Provide New On-Product Label & Instructions.”

About

DP Nguyen is founder and editor of Hip Chick's Guide to PMS, Pregnancy and Babies. She’s an expert pregnancy and women’s health blogger. She is NOT a medical doctor and does NOT offer medical advice. Connect with her on Google+, Twitter and Facebook.

{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

1 DP February 16, 2011 at 1:22 am

It really is sad. You just have to be super careful about any cords!

Reply

2 Beanma February 16, 2011 at 1:20 am

Poor babies. This is so so sad. We removed ours because we weren’t using it.

http://www.beanma.com

Reply

3 Katie Hurley February 12, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Thank you for posting this. It’s frightening! I’ve heard similar stories with other monitors. We tape them behind bookshelves to keep them out of sight.

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: